Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Make your own background stamp!


Okay, so I would say that I am a "scrappy" card maker! ;) I hate to waste anything that I think could still be used. This is why I have a jar full of ribbon scraps and a container full of little pieces of patterned paper! So when I was putting together SU's Big Blossom, during Sell-a-bration, I thought that it was a shame to waste all of the rubber pieces that I was cutting away from the image. This stamp particularly had a lot of big pieces to cut away from it! So I started thinking about what I could do with all of my rubber scraps from the stamp sets that I scored during Sell-a-bration! And, this is what I came up with... My "Mosaic" background stamp! All I did was ask my DH to make me a couple of blocks. I asked him to make them 5 1/2 x 6 1/2. I wanted the blocks a little over sized so that I knew that they would be able to completely cover a card front. After I had my blocks (which my DH sanded smooth and rounded the corners, he's the best!) I started cutting out random geometric shapes. After I got the shapes I wanted, I simply peeled the paper off of the sticky side and stuck them down! Now I'm trying to come up with more ideas on how I can use the rest of my rubber stamp scraps! If you have any ideas please let me know, because I still have a lot of scraps!!!



Here's a card I made with my new "homemade" background stamp!

19 comments:

Pam Speidel said...

You are just *too* clever Jami! Love the idea and I'm glad to hear you got Andy to help you! :) Love the card you created...it's fantastic!

Jackie said...

I knew I should not have thrown out that rubber....*sigh*. Very creative!

Katie Skiff said...

What a brilliant idea!! I always know I should be doing something else with it!!

Thanks!!

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Wow, now that is an AWESOME idea! Now I want my own "mosaic background"! :) It looks great on the card!

Dana said...

Your geometric BG looks great! I've been using rubber scraps for years too. I like to make my own shapes often because I want something I don't have, like a really tiny heart, or a star. My most used one is a grounding stamp like the "Amuse Oval" that is super popular. I also have one that has lots of really thin strips that I use for grass. It never occured to me to mount them permenantly on wood though! I might have to try that!

Anonymous said...

Super great idea. Your BG 'stamp' looks fantastic. TFS!

Diane said...

Why didn't I think of that...yeah right, I never get clever ideas like that!!! I love to recycle so now i'm keeping all my scraps.TFS

Anonymous said...

HOW BRILLIANT! I AM ADDING YOU TO MY FAVORITES SO I CAN CHECK YOU OUT DAILY WITH JUST ONE CLICK. KEEP THE GOOD IDEAS COMING.

Anonymous said...

ONE MORE THING IF S.U. COMES OUT WITH A MOSAIC BACKGROUND YOU BETTER MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR CUT.

Anonymous said...

sorry I'm leaving so many comments, but your so creative and think out of the box with your cards. Don't stop making your cards cause their great.

StampingBetty said...

That's great! I love it! Giraffe design would go good with that or a potted plant stamp...hmmm endless possibilities.

Tracy.H said...

This is such a cool idea!! And such a simple one! You are brilliant! TFS :0)

Suzi said...

I have used random width strips cut from the edges of b/g stamps and made a cool striped b/g out of them. Hmmm, now where did I put those strips???

Jacqueline said...

What a fantastic idea - I read about this in your MIL's blog - love your card too! TFS

Pegg S said...

Genius!!! It looks soo great!! Can you hubby make me a block ;)

BarbK said...

What an ingenious idea! Great work, Jami.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! How about small squares to form a grid background?

doverdi said...

What a great idea to use up all that left over rubbah! I knew I was saving it for something. Thanks for showing me just what.

Louise said...

How fun is that! What a GREAT idea!!!