Monday, June 04, 2007

DEMO!!!

When Andy and I bought our home a few years ago we had big plans for just about every room! One thing that we wanted to do was re-do the hall bathroom and put a tub/shower combo in there. Right now it only has a tub w/ no shower. The only shower in the house is in our master bathroom (there use to be one in the basement, but we are refinishing the basement too and haven't got it back in yet). So as you can imagine the bathroom is kinda' hectic when we have guests.

Well, our friends from Wyoming are coming back for the 4th of July, so that means we could possibly have six people fighting over one shower for about five days!!! No thanks!!! So Andy agreed that we could put in the tub/shower combo before the 4th and then finish the remodel w/ new sink, lighting, cabinets, tile, etc. after the holiday.

Well I wanted to make sure that this project got started so I volunteered to take off the tile around the tub! I don't think Andy really thought that I would do it, because he was pretty surprised to find my friend Mandey and I in full demo mode when he got back from fishing with our friend Jon (Mandey's husband). By the time they got home we had the tile off and the carpet ripped up! Yep, I said "carpet" YUCK! Who would put carpet in a bathroom?! Andy also said that the sheet rock around the tub needed to come down. So Mandey and I ripped that out too! After that the boys had to figure out how to get the cast iron tub out of the bathroom! They guessed that this baby weighed about 500lbs!!! Poor guys!!! Anyways... the project that started out being a simple tub replacement turned into a full remodel!!! Yeaaaaaa! We ended up demoing the whole bathroom and plan on getting everything done by the end of the month! I got to pick out counter tops, tile, paint, and everything else that goes along with a bathroom yesterday. My father-in-law is also building me a custom cabinet for our sink! I'm so excited that we are finally getting a new bathroom!

Thanks for listening to my ramble and hopefully I'll be posting pics of our new bathroom in a few weeks!!!

Here's some pics for your entertainment! (click on them to enlarge)


This is a before... notice the icky carpet and tiny tub!!!













Another before... notice the nasty "disco" light fixtures and the ugly sink. You can't see in the pic but the sink is a faux marble with gold glitter!!!! (I won't be missing this sink or light!!!)











Here's Mandey and I in action!









Just posing for the camera! Mandey is such a goof ball!!! You would never know it from this pic, but she is gorgeous! She actually just started her own blog "Who knew... Creativity!" you should check it out and see a "real" pic of her!






The boys taking out the 500lb tub! (Andy on the right, Jon on the left)












And the after pic!!! (Yep, that's Crazy Daisy snooping around. She only drinks running water out of the bathtub (this is one of the many reasons why she is "Crazy Daisy"). Needless to say she's upset about the demo!)










Old pic of Daisy...

4 comments:

Sharon in NE said...

You have my sympathy as I've been there and SO glad that's over. (Steve started building our home in 2000 and we moved in in 2005...it won't be done for many years...but he's picky like your FIL.)

BTW, LOVE the card you made your MIL & FIL for their anniversary. It is beautiful. The colors are gorgeous.

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

Yay for you! I know how you feel. . .we went through the same thing when we moved into our house 4 years ago. We had an awful bathroom and kitchen. . .so I feel your excitement! :)

Mandey Koehler said...

We kicked butt!! Any more demo projects to start?!?

Pam Speidel said...

OMG! If I decide to do any remodeling, I will call you and Mandey for the demo! :)

Love the new patriotic look of your blog and the music too. Do we need to design a new blog banner to go with this new look? In the pic of Jon and Andy...your hubby is on the left. ;)